Heart health is the cornerstone of wellness and vitality. Our clinical dietitians treat the gamut of issues including hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol and elevated triglycerides), hypertension (high blood pressure), cardio-metabolic syndrome and low HDL levels (the good guys). We help coordinate dietary intervention, weight management (if needed) and medications for optimal cardiovascular health.
How We Help:
- We create individualized food plans
- We provide continuous coaching and motivational counseling
- We teach behavioural strategies to manage emotional and stress eating
- We develop exercise plans appropriate to the client’s lifestyle and preferences
- We provide strategies and support to manage holiday and vacation eating
- For the client who eats primarily in restaurants or subsists on take-out meals we provide strategies for making healthful choices and review menus for the best options.
Hyperlipidemia: elevated concentrations of any or all of the lipids in the blood, including hypertriglyceridemia and hypercholesterolemia.
Total Blood Cholesterol: This number refers to the total amount of cholesterol circulating in the bloodstream. It is a combination of a few things including both types of cholesterol: HDL (good) and LDL (bad).
HDL-cholesterol: Known as the “good cholesterol”, this type travels AWAY from the heart and actually helps your body get rid of cholesterol in your blood. Thus, the higher your HDL-cholesterol number, the better off you may be.
LDL-cholesterol: Known as the “bad cholesterol”, this type causes cholesterol plaque to build up in the walls of your arteries. Thus, the higher your LDL-cholesterol number, the greater your risk for heart disease.
Triglycerides: Fatty compounds synthesized from carbohydrates during the process of digestion and stored in the body’s fat tissues. High levels of triglycerides in the blood are associated with insulin resistance.